For many Americans suffering from tooth loss, removable dentures have been the standard solution. Unfortunately, removable dentures have many drawbacks. Some of the disadvantages of removable dentures include:
- They are not permanent
- They are prone to slide and move while eating or talking
- They require the use of messy adhesives to keep them in place
- They can be uncomfortable, painful, and cause embarrassment
Thankfully, there are now several alternatives to removable dentures. Dental implants are fast becoming the preferred choice in patients treatment plans. Dental implants can be used to anchor a single crown, crowns and bridges, and dentures. At Smiles on Broadway Dental Care, our Long Island cosmetic dentist offers the most effective solutions for the replacement of missing teeth.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a permanent structure placed within the jawbone, to which a prosthetic tooth is attached. Implants are typically made of titanium, a strong, lightweight, and long lasting metal. This titanium post acts as your own natural tooth root. Once the implant is placed, a natural process called osseointegration begins. Through this process, the jawbone heals and adheres to the dental implant, integrating the implant as if it were your own tooth root. After three to six months of healing, the dental implant is ready for the replacement tooth. The replacement tooth, called a crown, is attached to the implant by an abutment, a small connecting post.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants have innumerable benefits. Here is an overview of just a few of the reasons dental implants are a great alternative to removable dentures.
- Dental implants are permanent – Dental implants are permanently rooted within the original tooth socket whereas dentures are removable.
- Better fit – Removable dentures are prone to sliding, which can make eating difficult and impair your ability to speak. Implant-supported dentures offer more stability so you can eat and speak with confidence.
- Improved self-esteem – With dental implants you are never without teeth! Whether they are used to secure a crown, bridge, or dentures, they offer the most natural looking and feeling result.
- Comfortable – Dental implants are comfortable. As they are permanently attached, there is no sliding discomfort that may be experienced with removable dentures.
- Easier to eat with – Dentures can move, making chewing difficult. Chewing problems can cause pain and discomfort to your gums and jaw. Implant-supported dentures are much more stable so you can eat the foods that you love.
- Long lasting – Dental implants are durable and can last a lifetime with proper oral care.
- Cosmetically better – Dental implants restore your smile because they allow us to attach replacement teeth below the gum line, offering the most natural looking result. Dental implants can give you a beautiful smile.
Am I a Candidate?
For patients in Long Island, dental implants are the best solution for the replacement of missing teeth, but they are not suitable for all patients. To determine if you are a candidate for dental implants, contact our offices today. Our experienced staff is waiting to assist you with your needs.