Dental implants have revolutionized the manner in which dentists replace missing teeth. With dental implants, patients that are missing one or more teeth can regain the full functionality and stability they enjoyed with natural teeth. At Smiles on Broadway in Long Island, we are proud to use dental implants; here, we offer information about the dental implants timeline timeline.
What Are Dental Implants?
In short, dental implants are titanium posts that are surgically placed in a patient’s jaw. Prostheses such as crowns, bridges, and dentures can be attached to the dental implants. Because dental implants are integrated within the jawbone, they offer unmatched stability and security for patients missing one or more teeth. At our state-of-the-art office in Long Island, dental implants are precisely placed by Dr. Steven Katz.
The titanium posts serve as artificial tooth roots, stabilizing a false tooth in much the same way a normal root and tooth would function. The titanium posts fuse with a patient’s jaw bone as natural gum tissue grows around them, much like how a natural tooth root functions.
At our Long Island cosmetic dentistry practice, dental implants include a time commitment that is a bit longer than some other cosmetic and restorative procedures. Dental implant surgery requires some patience, which pays off in the unmatched benefits and renewed confidence they offer.
At our Long Island practice, the timeline for dental implants varies from patient to patient and may require extra steps for those in need of preparatory treatments. The following is a standard timeline for dental implants treatment:
- Consultation – During a consultation at Smiles on Broadway Dental Care, our trained dental professionals will discuss the dental implant treatment timeline and the accompanying risks, benefits, and specifics of the procedure. Our practiced professionals will design a timeline unique to each patient according to his or her needs.
- Assessment – The dental assessment includes X-rays, a review of dental history, and an in-depth examination of a patient’s gums, teeth, and overall oral health. Some patients with weakened jawbones may require bone grafting to strengthen the jaw sufficiently to support dental implants. This procedure itself will require some recovery time and may extend the process by three or more months.
- Surgery – On the day of surgery, jaw impressions will be taken if they have not been taken previously. From these, a patient’s dental prostheses will be made to match each patient’s jaw and bite. Under local anesthesia or other sedation dentistry, the procedure will then involve the insertion of the titanium implants.
- Healing – Dental implants will take three to six months to fuse with the jaw bone. During this time, patients will be given temporary prostheses until the dental implants can support permanent prostheses.
- Prostheses Fitting and Check -Once the dental implants have integrated within the jawbone, they are ready for either dental-implant supported dentures, crowns, or other prostheses. If the prosthesis is a permanent, non-removable tooth, then it will be cemented in place. Our Long Island cosmetic dentist will check the alignment and fit of each prosthesis to the dental implant posts and will check that the jaw and teeth still align properly.
- After Recovery – Once a patient has healed from the implant procedure and received their prostheses, caring for dental implants is much the same as caring for natural teeth. Patients should maintain a strict dental hygiene regimen that includes brushing, flossing, rinsing and, in the case of patients with dentures, cleaning his or her prosthesis teeth. Regular dental checkups at our Long Island restorative dentistry practice ensure that implants are functioning as they should.
If you are considering dental implants treatment, please contact us at our Long Island dentistry office for more information and to schedule a confidential, personalized consultation on all of the services we offer.