Over time, our teeth are prone to staining. This is natural as we age, and is often accelerated due to the foods we consume. You may have become self-conscious as your teeth have turned gray or yellow, having lost their luster. There are a few tips and tricks you can use for a for a brighter smile.
• Try Using A Whitening Toothpaste – There are over-the-counter toothpastes and gels that can help eliminate surface stains, via the use of abrasives and chemicals. You should be careful using these products, however. Overuse can wear down the enamel of your teeth, which can make your teeth more vulnerable to staining.
• Prevent Further Stains – Underneath your outer layer of enamel is a yellowish layer, called dentin. If your outer layer wears away, your teeth will appear more stained. Make efforts to keep your outer layer of enamel intact, and avoid acidic foods that will wear down your enamel. You should avoid foods and drinks that are known to discolor and stain your teeth, such as coffee and red wine. A good rule of thumb? If it can stain a white t-shirt, it can stain your teeth.
• Don’t Smoke – Smoking is one of the worst ways to stain your teeth. Tobacco stains penetrate deeply into the tooth’s enamel, and are difficult to remove by brushing.
• Practice Good Oral Hygiene – Brushing and flossing as recommended can go a long way toward keeping your mouth healthy and your smile bright. Using an antiseptic rinse could also be very beneficial. Talk to your dental professional about what oral hygiene habits you should be practicing.
• Do It Yourself – There are many at-home options for teeth whitening, including kits and whitening strips. These products can be dangerous, however, as they will permanently change your natural tooth color. Whitening strips are a bit safer, but their results only last for a year.
• Be Mindful Of Any Dental Work You’ve Had Done – If you try to whiten teeth on your own, you will be limited in what you can accomplish. You will not be able to adjust the color of any artificial dental work you’ve had done, including any crowns or tooth replacements you’ve had inserted. The artificial dental pieces were inserted to match your surrounding teeth’s color. This means that if you are able to whiten your surrounding teeth, your artificial dental work may stand out as off-colored.
The Best Bet Is To Visit Your Dentist
If you’re serious about getting the whitest smile possible, your best bet is to visit your local Long Island cosmetic dentist. It’s possible to have an amazing teeth whitening procedure performed in less than an hour, in an environment that is calming. Your cosmetic dental professional will remove deep, stubborn stains and inject the confidence back into your smile that you’ve been lacking!