At the start of each New Year, people make plans. They resolve to make changes that can result in better living. Some people make resolutions to lose weight, eat better, or make time to get more exercise. Others set goals to break a bad habit or create a good habit. Overall, the most common resolution that people make is to take care of their health, one way or another.
There’s more to good health than finding the right diet. Good health begins with your teeth and gums. Why not let this be the year that you resolve to take care of your dental health? If it’s been awhile since you’ve seen a general dentist on Long Island, it’s time to put it at the top of your list and schedule an appointment. When it comes to your overall health, it’s one of the best things you can do. Here’s why in 5:
1. Keeping things clean and fresh. It’s difficult to know when you have bad breath unless someone tells you about it. If you have cavities or gum disease, sometimes even brushing and flossing can’t help. A dentist can give you a deep cleaning, or fix any tooth troubles that can cause a bad odor.
2. Uncovering hidden tooth troubles. A tooth can look perfect on the outside, but troubles deep inside can erupt when you least expect it. Cavities can be under the tooth surface, and nerve damage is deep inside the gum. A dentist can take X-Rays to discover when something hidden has the potential to become a problem.
3. Discovering serious health issues. Oral checkups include checking for oral cancer and other abnormalities in and around your mouth, head, and neck. Over 90% of diseases that affect organs or the whole body can manifest in the mouth as swollen gums, ulcers, and dry mouth. Your dentist could be the first one to notice something out of place.
4. Stopping diseases before they start. Poor oral health can lead to poor overall health throughout your body. Gum disease and bacteria in the mouth has been linked to heart problems, diabetes, digestive disorders (such as Irritable Bowel Disease), and premature birth in pregnant mothers.
5. Giving you a reason to smile. If your teeth are crooked, chipped, missing, or yellow; you probably don’t like to smile. If you have tooth pain or irritated and swollen gums, you probably find it tough to smile. A general dentist on Long Island can fix all of these problems and more, giving you your smile back. Start the New Year with a smile.
Your general dentist on Long Island is the first place to start when it comes to keeping your good-health resolution this year. Now, if only they could help you stick to a diet…